SALSA, formerly the Altar and Rosary Society, was founded in 1936. Its early goal was to honor the Blessed Virgin and to unite the women of the parish in charity, fellowship and prayer. Over the years, the mission of the society has evolved. In addition to honoring the Blessed Virgin, our current mission is to serve God in our parish family through prayer, providing support for parish activities and networking with other parish and archdiocesan organizations.
SALSA is a member of the National Council of Catholic Women (NCCW) whose motto is "We are called to serve one another." This nationwide organization is a federation of 6,000 Catholic women who wish to stay informed on issues and events around the country in voice and spirit. The NCCW works closely with the U.S. Conference of Bishops and represents the interests of Catholic women in service to the Church. The NCCW members also partner with Catholic Relief Services in support of their work around the world. It unifies all Catholic Women of Faith and Women of Action through its newsletters and bulletins posted on the NCCW website at
SALSA's activities include:
- Coordinating and hosting a yearly visit to Winston Manor, a community residential institution, providing the residents with entertainment, gift bags, a raffle and refreshments. Many volunteers, CCD students and families contribute their time and donations to make this a special day for the 175 residents.
- Helping with the November and December Food Drives
- Misericordia Tag Day
- Confirmation/Holy Communion refreshments and various other parish events
- Our annual Spring Fling Luncheon
- One major bake sale a year to help fund these events.
Although we are a small group we have been successful in our service goals. We are flexible, since many working women with families do not have time for monthly meetings, but we do have a base of about 35 women and family members who regularly help out and attend our yearly events .We work in tandem with all parishioners to serve the community of St. Aloysius, and to stay informed of women’s issues nationally.
When do we meet?
SALSA meetings are the third Sunday of the month from noon to 1 PM. The group typically does not meet in the summer months. Please attend one of our meetings to learn more about our various service activities. We need your participation, ideas and support to continue to promote the growth of our parish and group. For more information, please contact Joan Agosto at (773) 612-3416 or Kathy Pettiti at (708) 268-7191.